I had this dish for the first time a few weeks ago and have been trying to replicate the dish ever since because it was, quite simply, absolutely delicious. The dish originates from the Basque country here in Spain. The following recipe is based on the traditional recipe but has some tweeks which our local Andalucian chef recommended… I hope you like the results as much as I did!
Ingredients for Bacalao con Salsa Verde (Salted Cod with Green Sauce)
4 PIECES OF COD FISH – FROZEN, FRESH OR SALT COD CAN BE USED.
3 fl. oz. cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
5 garlic cloves finely minced
1 medium onion finely minced
8 fl. oz shellfish or fish broth
4 fl. oz Sherry
2 tblsps. of cooked boiled potatoes, mashed
3oz of peas
1/4 cup fresh chopped finely parsley
12 clams soaked overnight in chilled salted water
2 hard boiled eggs
4 Boiled Potatoes
salt, freshly ground black pepper and fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
Method for Bacalao con Salsa Verde (Salted Cod with Green Sauce)
- Soak the salt cod overnight. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Coat the fish lightly dusting with flour and sauté in the olive oil in a pan.
- Transfer the fish to 4 medium sized earthenware oven proof cazuelas, one piece of fish in each dish
- Sauté the garlic & onion gently until lightly golden
- Add the fish stock and the sherry. Bring to boil and then simmer for 2 mins.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water until tender and slice into quarters.
- Stir in the cooked mashed potato, peas & half the parsley
- Add 3 clams and 2 muscles in each earthenware dish and then drizzle the sauce created by the broth and wine. Check the seasoning and add more salt and freshly ground black pepper if required. Add potatoes to each dish.
- Bake in preheated oven at: 180 centig degrees or 350 farenheit degrees or Gas Mark 4 oven for 20 mins. The fish should be very tender when pierced with a skewer.
- Boil eggs 10 – 11 mins. for hard boiled in salted water.
- Drizzle the dishes with lemon juice and and add the sliced (hard boiled egg).
Serve with crusty bread!