I admit I was initially at combining Cinnamon with chicken in this recipe. Granted I do adore the two items seperately but, for some reason, could not quite grasp the concept of using cinnamon in any chicken dish. I did however give it a try and was absolutely delighted with the result which had a fabulous flavour.
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
4 Red Tractor chicken breast fillets
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp Red Tractor plain flour
½ tsp ground cinnamon
200ml hot vegetable stock
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
150g sugar snap peas
2 tbsp finely chopped Red Tractor flat-leaf parsley
1. Pour 400ml boiling water over the couscous. Stir in the sultanas and seasoning to taste, cover and stand for 10 minutes.
2. Mix the flour with the cinnamon and dust the chicken breasts with the cinnamon mix and the freshly ground black pepper.
3. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan and dry fry the chicken for about 5 – 6 minutes each side, until thoroughly cooked (the juices should run clear and there should be no pink meat). Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
4. Return the pan to the heat, add the stock, vinegar, the juice from 1 orange and 2 tsp finely grated orange zest. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 5-6 minutes, or until it has reduced by about half.
5. Peel the remaining orange and cut into segments. Boil the sugar snap peas in water for 2 minutes, then drain.
6. Add the chicken, sugar snaps and orange segments to the sauce.
7. Stir the couscous with a fork and add the parsley. Serve the chicken on a bed of couscous.
For more recipes of this nature and further information do check out Red Tractor – a driving force for good standards in food & farming