Orange and honey makes a wonderful, often used, marinade for Kebabs. One variation I particularly enjoy, because I love roasted oranges and they are a delicious accompaniment to salad, is the addition of mandarin wedges to the skewer. The mandarin flavour impregnates the pork during cooking, and the mandarins are absolutely delicious eaten this way!
- 4 Mandarin Oranges
- 12 shallots
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1lb pork cut into 1-inch cubes
- Put Rosemary into a large bowl and, using a wooden spoon, crush the leaves in order to release the oils. Add the Olive Oil, Orange Juice, Lemon Juice, Honey and Garlic. Season with Salt and Pepper.
- Add the Pork to the marinade and stir in order to ensure the marinade coats the meat well. Cover and chill for a minimum of 2 hours but preferably 3-4 for intense flavours and a tenderised pork.
- Set up the barbecue at medium heat.
- Cut the mandarins into wedges and set to one side. Peel the shallot onions.
- Thread the pork, mandarin and shallots onto the skewers – with 2 shallot onions and 3 mandarin wedges per kebab.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer the marinade to a heavy bottomed saucepan and bring to boil, stir frequently.
- Grill under the pork is cooked through – ensuring you turn frequently and brush the kebabs liberally with the marinade.
- Serve with a light salad! I like to ensure my salad has a little rocket in because it is a delicious peppery touch with the roasted mandarins.
If you are on the lookout for a truly awesome barbecue for the coming season then you can do no better than check out Weber BBQ – a manufacturer of gas and charcoal grills. They have a great range available – small charcoal fired bbqs, mobile gas barbecues to large gas grills, they are sure to have something to meet your needs. Check out their site for a superb collection of barbecues and grills – not to mention some wonderful barbecue recipe ideas